Tuesday 26 May 2015

White Dwarf 148

Continuing my look at old issues of White Dwarf, I thought I'd examine issue 148, which arrived in the post a few days ago.

This is an exceptional issue in the sense that it has zero decent gaming content for 3rd Edition or Rogue Trader!



The issue starts off with an article on modelling rivers, which may have some use. Unfortunately, the next piece of interest doesn't occur until just over 30 pages later (and even then it is a game report)!



24 pages are given to a battle report telling the tale of The Battle of Blood Keep between the Empire and an alliance of Dwarfs and Wood Elves. It's a fairly decent read if you like bat reps. I enjoy them but always find myself getting bored by the end! It's just an aesthetic thing really, I can't engage fully with written reports when wargaming for me is about the visual appeal.



The report is interesting for its use of the 'new' Empire army list, published the issue before, and also mention of the 'new' card-based Magic system, which would make an appearance in slightly altered form when 4th edition came out.



And that's it! The rest is mostly ads and 'Eavy Metal pages. I should mention for completeness sake that there is a rules article about the Chaos forces of Khorne for Space Marine as the Renegades expansion was soon to be released. 

So no stats or rules for 3rd Ed or Rogue Trader this month!

So why did I buy it?! Well... The piece on making rivers does contain a pic of Bretonnians fighting Undead. This gives me another view of the knights, which should come in useful when I'm painting them in 15mm! I also would like to play it out as a battle just to see what happens!



So there you have it. Not an issue I'll be referring to much, I'm sure! 

3 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for reviewing this issue of WD. My search for a painting reference for the old Marauder flagellants led me here. Does this Empire-centric issue have a picture of them in a unit? GW didn't show them in the army or rules books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for your comment. First of all, I'd like to say that this issue isn't all bad, just in terms of content for 3rd edition games.

      But to answer your question, no, there is no picture of the flagellants. In fact I don't know of any pictures of them prior to the release of 4th edition. Even the 4th ed army book doesn't picture them! Not even in the back where they catalogue all available models! Strange really, I always thought of flagellants as quite an iconic Empire unit!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for checking and letting me know. I agree they really are an iconic Empire unit, at least nowadays.

      I remember seeing a very blurry picture online that showed them fighting skeletons, but its been so long since then I can't remember where I saw it. I've looked in every 3rd and 4th edition book (the picture had the dark look of the older photographs) I can find and still haven't found it. I think its the only official picture of the Marauder flagellants as a unit, if my memory isn't playing tricks.

      Thanks again, for looking and break a leg with the Bretonnian army. Recreating the armies of old (the armies we saw as kids in the army books) is an exciting and really unique experience.

      Delete